SOME GOOD SOURCES OF POTASSIUM*
- Vegetables and fruits in general, especially
- potatoes and sweet potatoes
- spinach, swiss chard, broccoli, winter squashes, and parsnips
- dates, bananas, cantaloupes, mangoes, plantains, dried apricots, raisins, prunes, orange juice, and grapefruit juice
- dry beans, peas, lentils
- Milk and yogurt are good sources of potassium and have less sodium than cheese; cheese has much less potassium and usually has added salt.
* Does not include complete list of examples. You can obtain additional information from "Good Sources of Nutrients," USDA, January 1990. The Nutrition Facts Label may also provide brand-specific information on this nutrient.
Back to "Choose a diet moderate in salt and sodium"
Back to "Choose a diet with plenty of grain products..."