A Roadmap to the 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans
- For an overview of the development of the Physical Activity
Guidelines for Americans and important background information about
physical activity, read Chapter 1—Introducing the 2008 Physical
Activity Guidelines for Americans.
The Guidelines assume that many readers will not read all the
chapters, but will read only what is relevant to them. Important information
may therefore be repeated in several chapters.
- To learn about the health benefits of physical activity, read
Chapter 2—Physical Activity Has Many Health Benefits.
This information may help motivate people to become regularly active.
- To understand how to do physical activity in a manner that meets the
- To understand how to reduce the risks of activity–related
injury, read Chapter 6—Safe and Active.
- Those interested in an overview of ways to help people participate
regularly in physical activity should read Chapter 8—Taking
Action: Increasing Physical Activity Levels of Americans.
- The Glossary contains definitions of key terms used
in the Guidelines. Terms that are defined in the glossary are in bold the first
time they are used.
- Additional information and resources relevant to the Guidelines are
available in the Appendices.
top of page
This graphic notice,, means that you are leaving the health.gov site and entering a non-Federal Web site. View full disclaimer.